The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Barr. Nyesom Wike, has assured that at least 10 major projects in Abuja will be completed and ready for commissioning before the 2027 general elections.
Wike gave the assurance on Wednesday while inspecting the ongoing Tungan Madaki-Zuba Road and Nile University-RR3 Road projects, expressing confidence in the capacity and commitment of the contractors handling the projects.
The minister said the inspection was to assess the progress of projects launched during the FCT Administration’s third anniversary and ensure that contractors were on course to meet their delivery timelines.
At the Tungan Madaki-Zuba Road project, Wike disclosed that five of the six box culverts had been completed, describing the progress as encouraging.
He said China Geo-Engineering Corporation (CGC), the contractor handling the project, had assured the administration that the road would be completed and handed over by December.
“They have the capacity. I mean, they are not a new company. They have the capacity, they have the equipment. What’s important is if you have the equipment, and they have the equipment as part of capacity. So, they’ve been tested before now, so I have so much confidence in them,” Wike said.
Wike commended CGC for its commitment to the project, noting that the company had continued working despite receiving less than 30 per cent mobilisation.
He assured contractors that the FCT Administration would meet its financial obligations to facilitate the timely completion of the projects.
“On our part, we will not take it for granted that they are committed to the realization of the project. We will do our own part to pay them their money,” he said.
Wike said the administration was targeting at least 10 completed projects for commissioning before the 2027 elections.
“We are also visiting tomorrow to some other two projects, believing that by the end of the year, we would have had at least up to 10 projects, as promised, lined up for commissioning before the general election,” he said.
Wike Moves Against Structures Blocking Abuja Waterways
The minister also vowed to intensify the removal of structures obstructing waterways as part of measures to tackle flooding in the FCT.
According to him, the demolition exercise, which commenced in Maitama on Tuesday, would be extended to other parts of Abuja affected by blocked waterways.
“We’ve just started somewhere. After that, we move to another area. We are not going to end just with what we started yesterday,” he said.
Wike also disclosed that the Director of Development Control was being queried over alleged approvals granted to car dealers to operate on designated green areas.
He ordered the immediate removal of all car dealerships operating on such spaces, stressing that green areas must be preserved for recreation and environmental protection.
“This morning, the Director of Development Control is being queried now for giving approval to car dealers to use green areas for the sale of cars,” Wike said.
“I’ve already stopped it, and I’ve set up a task force to make sure that every car dealer is moved out of the green areas. If you want to sell your car, you go and purchase somewhere, or rent somewhere, and then develop it.”
The minister said the directive would be enforced regardless of who might be affected.
He explained that removing structures erected on waterways would restore the free flow of stormwater and help reduce flooding across affected communities.
Reacting to criticism of the demolition exercise on social media, Wike questioned the argument that the action had violated due process.
“What is due process? What is due process? You went to block a water channel, is that due process?” he asked.
The minister maintained that the FCT Administration was enforcing existing planning and environmental regulations to protect public infrastructure and communities.
He vowed that the exercise would continue until structures obstructing waterways, drainage channels and other public infrastructure were removed.

