HomenewsCourt Shifts Judgment in ₦8.7bn Malami Forfeiture Case

Court Shifts Judgment in ₦8.7bn Malami Forfeiture Case

ABUJA, Nigeria — A Federal High Court in Abuja has adjourned judgment in the forfeiture suit filed by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) against 57 properties linked to former Attorney-General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami, SAN, to July 10, 2026.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik had earlier fixed July 6 for the ruling but postponed the judgment without stating reasons. The case, which was listed among matters scheduled for hearing on Monday, did not proceed, with several other cases also rescheduled.

The EFCC is seeking the final forfeiture of the properties, valued at about ₦8.7 billion, on grounds that they are proceeds of unlawful activities.

Arguing the application, EFCC counsel, Jibrin Okutepa, SAN, told the court that the motion, supported by a 47-paragraph affidavit and 46 exhibits, demonstrated that the respondents failed to justify the legitimacy of the assets.

“The respondents have woefully failed to show cause that the properties were acquired legitimately,” Okutepa said, urging the court to grant the forfeiture request in favour of the Federal Government.

However, counsel to Malami and other respondents, Adedayo Adedeji, SAN, opposed the application, insisting that the properties were not proceeds of crime.

“The court deals with evidence, not suspicion,” Adedeji argued, adding that the EFCC relied on allegations without sufficient proof.

He further told the court that some of the properties were acquired before Malami assumed office, and criticised the reliance on what he described as extrajudicial evidence.

Adedeji urged the court to set aside the interim forfeiture order and dismiss the EFCC’s application, maintaining that the respondents had provided adequate explanation of the sources of the assets.

Other defence counsel representing individuals and companies listed in the suit also asked the court to reject the forfeiture request.

The court had earlier heard arguments from both parties after they adopted their processes on May 26, 2026.

The outcome of the case is expected to clarify the legal standing of the disputed assets and further shape ongoing anti-corruption efforts in Nigeria.

Akeem Adebayo
Akeem Adebayo
Akeem Olalekan Adebayo is an Editor at newsfocusng.com, covering Business, Energy, Foreign Affairs, and Defence, with a focus on clear, balanced analysis of issues shaping Nigeria and the global economy.
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Recent Comments