HomeDefenceTroops of Operation Hadin Kai Rescue Abducted NECO Candidates After ISWAP Attack

Troops of Operation Hadin Kai Rescue Abducted NECO Candidates After ISWAP Attack

ABUJA — Troops of Operation Hadin Kai have rescued 10 National Examinations Council (NECO) candidates and teachers abducted during an attack by Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP) fighters on a secondary school in Lassa community, Askira Uba Local Government Area of Borno State.

The military confirmed that the victims were freed following a coordinated air and ground operation launched shortly after the attack, which occurred at about 9:00 a.m. on Monday while students were writing their examinations.

According to a statement issued by Captain Mohammed Goni, Acting Military Information Officer at the Headquarters Joint Task Force North East, the attack targeted the Technical Secondary School in Lassa.

“Immediately upon receipt of the incident, the Theatre Command scrambled both strike and Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance aircraft from the Air Component of Operation Hadin Kai to support troops mobilised for a coordinated search and rescue operation,” Goni said.

Troops, supported by aerial surveillance providing real-time intelligence, made contact with the fleeing attackers around the Daggu area, leading to a firefight.

The military said the operation resulted in the successful rescue of 10 victims, who were found unharmed and are currently receiving care.

“The operation has so far resulted in the successful rescue of ten victims, who were unhurt and are currently receiving the necessary care and support,” the statement added.

Security forces also inflicted casualties on the terrorists during the encounter and recovered seven motorcycles used by the insurgents, significantly disrupting their escape.

However, the military disclosed that one soldier and a member of the Civilian Joint Task Force (CJTF) were killed during the exchange of fire.

“Their courage, selflessness and unwavering commitment exemplify the collective resolve of security forces and local volunteers,” Goni stated.

Efforts are ongoing to rescue at least one remaining victim believed to still be in captivity.

Intensified Security Operations

The military said troops, in collaboration with other security agencies, have intensified operations in the area to track down the perpetrators and prevent further attacks.

Security measures have also been strengthened across vulnerable communities, particularly around schools, to ensure the safety of students and residents.

“Troops have intensified operations and sustained pressure on the terrorist elements responsible for the attack,” the statement noted.

Authorities described the assault on the school as part of a pattern of attacks on soft targets by terrorist groups under pressure from ongoing military operations in the North East.

Attack on Education

The incident highlights persistent threats to education in conflict-affected areas, where insurgent groups have repeatedly targeted schools, students, and teachers.

Security analysts say such attacks are aimed at creating fear and disrupting normal life, particularly educational activities.

Despite the latest attack, the military reaffirmed its commitment to securing the region and ensuring that academic activities continue without disruption.

“Such cowardly acts will neither deter our resolve nor diminish our commitment to dismantling terrorist networks,” the statement said.

Call for Public Support

Operation Hadin Kai urged residents to remain vigilant and support ongoing security efforts by providing credible information to authorities.

The military also cautioned against the spread of misinformation, noting that only official updates should be relied upon as operations continue.

“Members of the public are encouraged to remain vigilant and provide timely information to security agencies,” Goni added.

Ongoing Efforts

Operation Hadin Kai reiterated its mandate to protect civilians, safeguard infrastructure, and create a secure environment for education and other essential services in the North East.

As search operations continue for the remaining abducted victim, security forces say they remain focused on neutralising terrorist threats and restoring lasting peace in the region.

The rescue operation marks another significant effort by the military to counter insurgency in Borno State, even as challenges persist in securing remote communities.

 

 

Akeem Adebayo
Akeem Adebayo
Akeem Olalekan Adebayo is an Editor at newsfocusng.com, covering Business, Energy, Foreign Affairs, and Defence, with a focus on clear, balanced analysis of issues shaping Nigeria and the global economy.
- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Recent Comments