- FCT Minister, Nyesom Wike, has ordered free medical treatment for victims of the tragic building collapse at Durumi 3, near Gudu Market, Abuja.
The three-storey building, which was still under construction, came crashing down on Saturday, trapping several persons beneath the rubble.
In a dramatic rescue operation, emergency workers pulled out one victim alive after spending over nine hours buried under the debris.
The survivor was immediately attended to by the FCTA Mandate Secretary for Health Services and Environment Secretariat, Dr. Dolapo Fasawe, before being rushed to the hospital for treatment.
So far, five persons have been confirmed dead, while 11 others rescued from the scene are said to be recovering from injuries.
Rescue teams battled for hours to save trapped victims and clear the rubble following the devastating incident, which threw the area into panic and mourning.Wike Orders Free Treatment As Five Die In Abuja Building Collapse
The Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has directed that all victims of the three-storey building collapse in Abuja receive free medical treatment.
The tragic incident occurred on Saturday at a construction site behind Gudu Market in the Durumi area of the nation’s capital, leaving five persons dead and several others injured.
The Mandate Secretary, FCT Health Services and Environment Secretariat, Dr. Adedolapo Fasawe, disclosed the minister’s directive during a visit to the scene of the disaster.
Fasawe said rescue operations were still ongoing as emergency responders continued efforts to locate and evacuate more victims feared trapped beneath the rubble.
In a dramatic rescue effort, one of the trapped victims was pulled out alive after spending more than nine hours under the collapsed structure.
Dr. Fasawe, who was at the site, personally attended to the survivor immediately after the rescue before he was rushed to hospital for further medical care.
The FCT Emergency Management Department (FEMD) confirmed that the building, which was under construction, collapsed around 8:30 a.m.
In a statement signed by the Head of Public Affairs of FEMD, Mrs. Nkechi Isa, the agency said 16 persons had so far been rescued from the rubble.
According to the statement, 11 injured victims were taken to the Federal Medical Centre, Abuja, Asokoro District Hospital and Maitama District Hospital for treatment.
FEMD added that most of the victims trapped in the debris were construction workers at the site.
The agency further disclosed that emergency personnel from the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA), Federal Fire Service, FCT Fire Service and the FCT Police Command were actively involved in the rescue operation.
Also participating in the emergency response were officials of the Nigerian Army, Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), FCT Emergency Medical Services and health personnel from Wuse District Hospital.

