Six days after 7 persons were burnt to death by kerosene explosion, the Federal Capital Administration (FCTA) on Wednesday demolished about 100 illegal shops, shanties built around the Kubwa Village market.
The exercise, according to the Ministerial Committee on City Sanitation, was said to have been initiated to correct contraventions that have constituted environmental nuisances.
Chairman of the Committee, Comrade Ikharo Attah said the FCT Ministers, both Malam Muhammad Musa Bello and Dr. Ramatu Tijjani Aliyu were not happy with the continued contraventions in the area and have directed that the clean up exercise be carried out, to prevent further life and safety threatening incidents.
Attah stated that even the FCT Commissioner of Police, Sunday Babaji has reiterated commitment to providing security backup for every operations targeted at tackling illegalities and criminalities within the nation’s capital.
He , however, expressed dismay that residents and traders have continued to violate developmental blueprint, leading to deaths of innocent people, also said, that the illegal shops were built directly under electricity high tension installations, while many were used to block access roads, making it difficult for rescue operations, in an event of fire emergency.
According to him, occupiers of these illegal shops had been put on notice for a very long time now, as many of their kiosks and illegal extension structures were removed.
His words , ” We have always been on this road axis for the past three years, trying to clean it up and we have always had intense problems. We have cleared the road to the market which was blocked for about six years.
” But in the aftermath of the fire incident wherein about 7 persons lost their lives , we had no option than to do what we believe is the right thing . We have giving notices for people to quit the illegal shops.
” Even the very shop where the explosion happened, we had removed that tank. We will remove all the illegal shops because the community had been blocked”.