Edo State Governor, Monday Okpebholo, on Thursday declared total war against kidnappers and cultists, warning that criminals operating in the state will face speedy prosecution and possible execution if found guilty.
The governor issued the stern warning at the Edo State Police Command headquarters in Benin City during the parade of suspects arrested in connection with Sunday’s kidnapping incident at the Vegetable Market.
Okpebholo, who praised the police for their swift response, vowed that his administration would establish a special court to handle kidnapping and cult-related offences with accelerated trials.
“We are going to set up a special court to prosecute kidnappers and cultists. Within two weeks, the court is done with proceedings and I will sign their execution,” the governor declared.
Addressing the suspects directly, he warned that Edo State would no longer be a safe haven for criminals.
“We will take you to the Ring Road roundabout so that Edo people can watch. I will have no regrets about it. Don’t take my simplicity for granted,” he said.
The governor revealed that immediately after receiving reports of the kidnapping at the Vegetable Market on Sunday, he directed the Commissioner of Police to ensure the perpetrators were tracked down and arrested.
According to him, the operation led to the arrest of one suspect, while another was neutralised during a gun battle with security operatives. Two other members of the gang are still on the run.
“They will never find peace in Edo. The message to all criminals is that they will not go free after committing crime in this state. You will be arrested. We are ready for you and your sponsors. We are working day and night to make sure this land is safe,” Okpebholo stated.
The governor also defended the Federal Government’s efforts in tackling insecurity, saying President Bola Tinubu has continued to provide the needed support and funding for security agencies.
“I wonder why people keep complaining that the president is not working. The president is funding the security operatives to function well. That is why we are happy about the results we are getting today,” he said.
Okpebholo urged residents to shun crime and embrace legitimate means of livelihood, stressing that criminal activities only lead to destruction and loss of freedom.
As a reward for their gallantry, the governor presented a cash gift of N10 million to the police officers involved in the arrest of the kidnap suspect.
Speaking earlier, the Edo State Commissioner of Police, Mr Monday Agbonika, said investigations into the kidnapping case were ongoing, adding that efforts had been intensified to arrest the fleeing gang members.
Agbonika disclosed that several items were recovered from the arrested suspect, including a red Lexus RX 350 with registration number EKP 848 AE, a pump-action shotgun, two live cartridges, a motorcycle and N2.25 million cash suspected to be proceeds of crime.
The police commissioner thanked Governor Okpebholo for his unwavering support to security agencies in the state and also appreciated Inspector-General of Police Olatunji Disu for his leadership and guidance.
He assured Edo residents that the command remains committed to protecting lives and property and appealed to members of the public to continue providing timely and credible information that would assist security agencies in combating crime.

