Abuja, Nigeria — June 23, 2026 — Nigeria’s strategy for protecting its oil and gas assets is undergoing a major shift from reactive military enforcement to preventive, community-driven interventions as the Nigerian Upstream Petroleum Regulatory Commission (NUPRC) and the Federal Ministry of Defence move to address insecurity at its root.
This direction was highlighted during a courtesy visit by officials of the Ministry of Defence to the NUPRC headquarters in Abuja, where both institutions agreed to strengthen a non-kinetic security framework focused on community engagement, youth empowerment, and technology-driven surveillance in oil-producing regions.
Rather than relying solely on armed response to crude oil theft and pipeline vandalism, the new approach emphasizes early intervention through social and economic programmes designed to reduce the incentives for illegal activity.
Speaking at the meeting, the Commission Chief Executive of NUPRC, Mrs. Oritsemeyiwa Eyesan, said improved coordination between regulators and security agencies has already contributed to a recovery in national oil output.
“Today, we are benefiting from those efforts. Last month, we recorded production of nearly 1.8 million barrels per day throughout the month,” she said, linking the gains to enhanced security collaboration and operational reforms.
Eyesan stressed that sustaining production growth requires not just enforcement, but also intelligence systems, technology deployment, and stronger relationships with host communities.
“As we look to the future, we desire to grow production and must have assurances that security threats can be effectively managed. We can only achieve this through stronger collaboration with security agencies and industry stakeholders,” she added.
A key component of the emerging framework is expanded use of surveillance technologies, including drone monitoring and digital tracking systems, to detect illegal activity across Nigeria’s extensive pipeline and facility network.
On the defence side, the Federal Ministry of Defence outlined a broader shift toward what it described as a “non-kinetic national security model,” aimed at reducing conflict drivers in oil-producing communities.
Representing the Minister of Defence, General Christopher Gwabin Musa (rtd), Senior Special Assistant Major General Ekubi said the strategy focuses on addressing underlying socio-economic pressures that often fuel sabotage and theft.
He explained that youth-focused interventions, particularly sports-based programmes, would form a central pillar of the initiative, alongside structured inclusion programmes for vulnerable groups, including persons with disabilities.
“One of the best ways to engage youths in oil-producing areas is through sports-based interventions,” he said, noting that the goal is to redirect energy away from criminal activity into structured development pathways.
The Ministry said the approach aligns with provisions of the Petroleum Industry Act on host community development, positioning oil-producing communities not only as security stakeholders but also as beneficiaries of structured empowerment programmes.
Analysts say the shift reflects a growing recognition that Nigeria’s persistent oil theft challenge cannot be solved by enforcement alone, but requires long-term investment in trust-building, livelihoods, and community participation.
The renewed partnership is expected to reshape how oil infrastructure protection is implemented, blending regulatory oversight, defence coordination, and grassroots engagement into a unified national strategy.

