The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has rejected calls for the removal of its Chairman, declaring such demands unconstitutional and a threat to the independence of Nigeria’s electoral system.
In a strongly worded statement on Thursday, the Commission dismissed allegations of partisan bias by some political actors, insisting that all its actions were guided strictly by the rule of law and compliance with court orders.
“Any call for removal outside the established constitutional process is not only a distraction but a direct assault on the independence of the nation’s electoral umpire,” INEC said.
The Commission stressed that its leadership is protected by law, noting that the appointment and removal of its Chairman are governed by constitutional provisions, not political pressure.
Defending its recent decisions, INEC explained that it acted in line with judgments of the Court of Appeal and existing court orders, warning that failure to comply could have triggered a repeat of electoral crises witnessed in states like Zamfara State and Plateau State, where outcomes were overturned due to disobedience of judicial rulings.
“It is either that INEC obeys the order of the Court of Appeal fully or refuses to obey it,” the Commission stated, emphasising that the Constitution compels all authorities to enforce decisions of superior courts.
INEC also brushed aside claims that its actions undermine multi-party democracy, pointing out that it has continued to expand the political space through the registration of more political parties.
On its proposed nationwide voter revalidation exercise, the Commission said the process had been wrongly politicised, clarifying that it is a routine administrative measure aimed at strengthening the integrity of the voter register.
Describing the exercise as an audit rather than fresh registration, INEC said it would address issues such as multiple registrations, voter transfers and removal of deceased persons from the database.
“It is not targeted at any region, party or demographic. It is a uniform and transparent process to be conducted nationwide,” the statement added.
The electoral body maintained that it remains focused on preparations for upcoming off-cycle governorship elections, insisting it would not be distracted by what it described as baseless allegations.
Reaffirming its position, INEC declared that the call for the resignation of its Chairman is unwarranted, vowing to continue upholding the Constitution and delivering credible elections.

