The Lagos State Government has promised to publish and implement the report of the judicial panel investigating claims of police abuse of human rights.
Following the violence that accompanied the EndSARS protests last year, the state saw a wave of arsonist attacks, culminating in the damage of public facilities.
Speaking Thursday on the arduous task of rebuilding Lagos, Governor Sanwo-Olu assured that the recommendations of the panel would not be covered up.
According to him, the panel report would be helpful in strengthening true reconciliation and preventing the re-occurrence of such violence in the state.
“Lagos recorded a huge loss in assets and resources following the violence that trailed the EndSARS protests, as public transportation infrastructure, court buildings, police stations, private properties and iconic assets were razed by arsonists on October 21, 2020,” the governor said.
The panel, which was set up to investigate allegations of human rights abuses against the police and determine the cause of coordinated attacks on Lagos, concluded its sittings on Monday, 12 months after it was constituted.
Sanwo-Olu said: “The panel concluded its sittings about three days ago and has asked for time to put the reports together behind closed doors. We do not know the content of the report, but we want to say publicly that, upon the handover of the report, we will be making it public.
“We will not cover up anything. This is not who we are and that is not what our government stands for. We will make full disclosure of whatever recommendations the panel will come up with. I assure citizens of Lagos that we will not leave anything to chance.”
Commenting on the arrest of some youths that participated in a drive-through EndSARS memorial protest at the Lekki Tollgate on Wednesday, Sanwo-Olu said he had ordered an unconditional release of those detained by the police, except one person who was caught with dangerous weapons at the scene.