The Director-General of the World Health Organization (WHO), Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, is travelling to the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) as health authorities intensify efforts to contain a growing Ebola outbreak in the country’s conflict-ridden east.
According to the WHO, the outbreak — declared in mid-May — has so far resulted in 10 confirmed deaths and 223 suspected fatalities, with more than 1,000 confirmed and suspected cases recorded as of May 24.
Tedros said the outbreak is centred in Ituri province, where decades of insecurity and weak state presence have complicated emergency response efforts.
“Ebola is back. Ituri province is bearing the brunt,” he said in a statement posted on X, adding that he would join WHO teams, partner organisations and local health workers on the ground.
The WHO chief expressed confidence that the DRC would eventually overcome the outbreak, noting that the country had previously defeated Ebola 16 times.
However, health officials have warned that the true scale of the outbreak may be significantly higher than current figures suggest, as the virus is believed to have circulated undetected for some time.
The current outbreak is linked to the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola, for which there is presently no approved vaccine or specific treatment.
The eastern DRC has faced prolonged armed conflict and humanitarian crises for more than three decades, factors that continue to hinder disease surveillance and medical response operations.

