The lawmaker representing Ideato North/Ideato South Federal Constituency of Imo State, Ikenga Ugochinyere, has stepped down from the race for the position of Minority Leader in the House of Representatives following a new eligibility rule introduced by the House.
Ugochinyere, who had earlier secured the backing of 60 out of the 82 members of the Minority Caucus, announced his withdrawal in a letter dated June 10, 2026, and addressed to the Speaker of the House.
He said the decision became necessary after the House amended its Standing Orders, introducing fresh requirements for lawmakers seeking appointment as Principal Officers.
According to him, although his nomination was valid under the previous rules, the new amendment had changed the basis for eligibility.
“In the interest of preserving the integrity of the institution, demonstrating respect for the authority of the House, and ensuring strict compliance with the amended provisions, I hereby withdraw and relinquish any claim to the position of Minority Leader-designate arising from the said nomination,” he stated.
Ugochinyere added that his action was taken out of respect for the supremacy of the House Rules.
The development comes barely 24 hours after the House amended its Standing Orders amid growing controversy over the vacant Minority Leader position following the exit of former Minority Leader, Kingsley Chinda.
The amendment, adopted during Wednesday’s plenary session after a motion sponsored by Hon. Babajimi Benson, now defines “cognate legislative experience” as the completion of at least one full four-year term in the House of Representatives.
The revised rule effectively bars first-term lawmakers from occupying principal leadership positions in the House.
Benson argued that parliamentary best practices globally reserve such strategic positions for experienced legislators in order to strengthen institutional memory, legislative competence and understanding of constitutional processes.
With the amendment, Ugochinyere and other lawmakers elected for the first time in 2023 are automatically disqualified from contesting for principal offices until they complete a full legislative term.
The new rule has sparked debate within the Minority Caucus and across the National Assembly, with differing opinions on its implications for internal democracy and representation.
Meanwhile, indications emerged that efforts to resolve the leadership tussle may have produced a compromise arrangement.
Under the proposed peace deal, Ugochinyere and the influential G-60 bloc are expected to play a key role in selecting a consensus candidate for the Minority Leader position and other minority principal offices.
The latest development is seen as a major twist in the battle for the minority leadership position, which has generated intense political interest within the opposition ranks in the House of Representatives.

