Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Barr. Nyesom Wike, has dismissed allegations linking President Bola Tinubu’s Chief of Staff, Femi Gbajabiamila, to the alleged fake Presidential Foreign Intervention Promotion Council (PFIPC), describing the claims as politically motivated and baseless.
Wike said the allegations were part of attempts by political opponents to embarrass the Tinubu administration.
Speaking during his monthly media chat in Abuja on Thursday, the minister backed President Tinubu’s decision to direct the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) to investigate the matter.
He also faulted calls by former Vice President Atiku Abubakar and opposition parties for the removal of the Chief of Staff before the investigation is concluded.
“The demand by Atiku is not new. What did he do when he was Vice President? I know the Chief of Staff very well. Without prejudice, I know him very well,” Wike said.
According to him, the office of the Chief of Staff is often targeted by those seeking to discredit a government.
“If you want to embarrass any government, the first person you target is the Chief of Staff because people believe once you get to him, the government will be embarrassed,” he stated.
Wike questioned the credibility of claims that Gbajabiamila authorised funds for a council the Presidency says does not exist.
“Does it make sense that an agency that does not exist, he will ask somebody to give it such an amount of money? It is madness. The Chief of Staff cannot create a budget. It is simply not possible,” he said.
The minister also challenged the credibility of the principal accuser, who reportedly fled after making the allegations.
“If the young man knows what he is saying is correct, why run away? You cannot make such serious allegations and then disappear. You need to be interrogated,” he added.
Recalling his own experience, Wike said he had previously faced false allegations designed to tarnish his image.
“Someone once alleged that my son collected two million dollars over a land matter. We investigated and discovered my son had travelled out of the country before the alleged transaction. It was all false,” he said.
He disclosed that some people advised him to quietly settle the matter to avoid controversy, but he rejected the suggestion.
“I asked them, ‘Settle what?’ This is cheap blackmail. I will not allow that,” Wike said.
The minister accused the opposition of attempting to exploit the controversy for political gain.
“A man accused the Chief of Staff today and by the following morning, the opposition had already issued a statement. What is the business of people like Atiku if it is not politically motivated?” he queried.
Wike maintained that anyone with genuine evidence should present it to security agencies instead of making allegations and evading investigation.
“If it is true, go before the security agencies with your phone records, your communications and every proof you have. That is the proper thing to do,” he said.
He insisted that calls for Gbajabiamila’s removal before the conclusion of investigations were unjustified.
“People are saying the Chief of Staff must be sacked. By who? The opposition? Why should he be removed over unproven allegations? That is not how government works,” he added.

