Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Barr. Nyesom Wike, has declared that many civil servants in the FCT dislike him because he stopped what he described as the diversion of public funds through unnecessary conferences and foreign trips.
Wike said the money previously spent on overseas travels and other non-essential activities is now being channelled into road construction and other infrastructure projects across Abuja.
Speaking during his monthly media chat in Abuja on Thursday, the minister said he would not approve millions of naira for foreign conferences that add little value to governance.
“We waste our resources on frivolities. You expect me to approve funds for you to go to America for a one-week conference on land administration. What is that?
“If you want to learn about land administration, go to Lagos or Port Harcourt, study how theirs works or did not work and make comparisons. I won’t approve N20 million for such a trip,” Wike said.
The minister disclosed that before he assumed office, about 65 per cent of the FCT budget was spent on recurrent expenditure, leaving little for development projects.
According to him, the spending pattern has now been reversed, with 70 per cent of the budget dedicated to capital projects and 30 per cent to recurrent expenditure.
“Before I came, about 65 per cent of the budget was for recurrent expenditure. How will such a society develop?
“I came on board and said no. Seventy per cent must go to capital expenditure, while 30 per cent will be for recurrent expenditure,” he stated.
Wike argued that many conferences had become channels for diverting government funds, insisting that public resources should instead be invested in projects that directly improve the lives of residents.
“Some people say conferences are important, but I say they have become avenues for corruption. I would rather put that money into building roads where Nigerians can see the impact.
“That is why I can’t be popular among civil servants. If you ask them today which minister they don’t like, they will mention me because the money meant for conferences is now being used for roads,” he added.
The minister reaffirmed his commitment to prudent management of public funds, saying the FCT Administration would continue to prioritise infrastructure and projects that deliver visible benefits to residents.

