Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), , on Thursday defended his controversial remarks on the recent protest over the abduction of teachers in the Federal Capital Territory, insisting that insecurity should not be politicised and that he would not retract his comments despite criticism from some quarters.
Wike spoke while inspecting ongoing infrastructure projects in Abuja ahead of the third anniversary of President ’s administration.
“I’m not going to retract or withdraw anything. What I said, I stand by it. If anybody is not happy, he or she should take any action they want to take,” the minister said.
His remarks followed criticism of comments he made while addressing members of the Nigeria Union of Teachers (NUT), who protested the abduction of teachers in the FCT. Some critics had described the comments as insensitive to the plight of the victims and their families.
Responding, Wike maintained that his position had been misunderstood, stressing that government remained deeply concerned about the safety of all citizens affected by insecurity.
“Security is for everybody. The mere fact that somebody has been kidnapped should be a concern to any government. It is not only about teachers, lawyers or medical doctors. We are all Nigerians and should be concerned wherever such incidents occur,” he stated.
He argued that public concern over insecurity should not be selective, noting that incidents of kidnapping and violence in any part of the country deserved equal attention.
“If it happens in Sokoto, we should all be concerned. If it happens in Taraba, we should all be concerned. If it happens anywhere, we should all be concerned,” he added.
The minister said the Federal Government and security agencies were making efforts to secure the release of those abducted and reiterated the FCT Administration’s commitment to supporting security operations within the territory.
Wike also weighed in on the leadership dispute within the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Rivers State, dismissing claims by the Emeka Beke-led faction that decisions taken by the Tony Okocha-led leadership had been nullified by a recent Court of Appeal judgment.
According to him, the appellate court did not invalidate candidates produced through APC primaries, as being claimed by some party members.
He explained that party primaries are conducted by the National Working Committee (NWC) and not state party structures, adding that the court ruling merely addressed the jurisdiction of the State High Court to entertain a dispute arising from party congresses.
“The primaries are conducted by the National Working Committee of the party at the national level. People should understand the difference between internal party processes and what the court actually decided,” he said.
Wike maintained that the substantive matter remained before the High Court and would have to be reassigned following the death of the judge who initially handled the case.
He further dismissed assertions that party officials or candidates had been removed from office, insisting that such claims were inconsistent with the legal and procedural realities of the matter.
The minister spoke after inspecting key infrastructure projects being executed by the FCT Administration, many of which are scheduled for commissioning as part of activities marking the third anniversary of the Tinubu administration.
Expressing satisfaction with the pace and quality of work, Wike assured residents that all projects slated for inauguration would be delivered according to schedule and in line with approved standards.

