ABUJA — Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Barr. Nyesom Wike, on Thursday dismissed claims that the Court of Appeal had invalidated decisions arising from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) convention that produced the current National Working Committee (NWC), insisting that those making such assertions had lost their case and were merely attempting to sustain the hopes of their supporters.
Speaking during the inspection of ongoing projects in Abuja ahead of the third anniversary of President ’s administration, Wike described the interpretation being given to the appellate court’s ruling as misleading and contrary to the actual judgment.
According to him, the appeal in question was dismissed, a development he said clearly signified that the appellants had failed in their challenge.
“When an appeal is dismissed, it means you have lost. If the appeal had been upheld, then you could say the court agreed with your position and set aside whatever decision was being challenged. But where the appeal is dismissed, there is no ambiguity about the outcome,” he said.
The minister faulted attempts to portray the judgment as having nullified the PDP convention that produced the current party leadership, arguing that the court had merely reaffirmed earlier judicial pronouncements on the matter.
Wike also criticised lawyers and party members who, according to him, were presenting interpretations that differed from the court’s decision.
“It is unfortunate when lawyers give information that is completely different from what the court actually said. The court dismissed the appeal. That is the reality of the judgment,” he stated.
The former Rivers State governor challenged those disputing the legitimacy of the party leadership to test their claims through the appropriate institutions rather than through media statements.
“If anyone believes the convention has been invalidated, let them take the matter to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), which is a party to the suit. It is not enough to make claims in the media,” he said.
Wike expressed confidence that developments in the coming months, particularly as political parties prepare for future electoral activities, would clarify the situation.
He accused some politicians of resorting to public narratives aimed at keeping their supporters optimistic despite adverse court decisions.
“These are the things politicians do when they lose. They look for something to tell their supporters so that hope remains alive. But the facts remain the facts,” he added.
The minister further questioned why individuals other than the party’s purported presidential aspirants were leading public campaigns and making declarations on their behalf.
“Those who claim to have presidential candidates should allow them to speak for themselves. We have gone beyond the stage where others run political contests on behalf of candidates,” he said.
Wike spoke after inspecting key infrastructure projects being executed by the FCT Administration, many of which are scheduled for inauguration as part of activities marking the third anniversary of the Tinubu administration.
He reiterated the administration’s commitment to delivering critical infrastructure projects across the Federal Capital Territory and expressed satisfaction with the pace and quality of work at the various project sites.

