Fresh controversy has erupted over the ongoing Area Council Election Petition Tribunal proceedings in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) as petitioner, Dr. Paul Moses Ogidi, has called for the suspension of judgment in his election petition, alleging fundamental flaws in the tribunal’s composition and jurisdiction.
Ogidi is also seeking the intervention of the Chief Justice of Nigeria and other judicial authorities over what he described as unresolved constitutional and legal issues surrounding the tribunal handling Petition No. FCT/ACET/EP/01/2026.
In a statement issued in Abuja on Tuesday, the petitioner argued that delivering judgment before addressing the concerns could undermine the integrity of the judicial process and raise serious constitutional questions.
According to him, the move is not aimed at challenging the independence of the judiciary but at ensuring that due process is strictly followed before any verdict is delivered.
“Our attention has been drawn to information indicating that the Area Council Election Petition Tribunal is set to deliver judgment in Petition No. FCT/ACET/EP/01/2026 between Dr. Paul Moses Ogidi and the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) & 2 Others,” he said.
“While we remain committed to the rule of law and the independence of the judiciary, we consider it our duty to alert Nigerians and the international community to a fundamental jurisdictional defect that remains unresolved and which directly affects the competence of the Tribunal to validly proceed with, let alone determine, this Petition.”
Ogidi maintained that the core of his complaint centres on the composition of the tribunal, which he claimed ought to include a High Court Judge in line with Section 135(3) of the Electoral Act, 2026.
He stressed that the issue goes beyond mere technicalities and strikes at the heart of the tribunal’s legal authority to hear and determine the matter.
The petitioner disclosed that upon discovering the alleged irregularity, his legal team wrote to the Chief Judge of the FCT on April 10, 2026, requesting the reconstitution of the tribunal to comply with the law.
According to him, no response was received and no corrective action was taken.
He further revealed that another petition was submitted to the Chief Justice of Nigeria on May 21, 2026, drawing attention to what he described as constitutional and statutory defects in the tribunal’s composition and seeking urgent intervention.
Ogidi said the concerns raised in both petitions have yet to be addressed by the relevant authorities.
The petitioner also disclosed that notifications and correspondences had been sent to several local and international organisations, including the United Nations, the European Union, the United States Embassy and the British High Commission, among other stakeholders involved in democratic governance and electoral matters.
Insisting that jurisdiction is the foundation of every judicial proceeding, Ogidi argued that any question concerning a tribunal’s competence must first be resolved before it can proceed to determine substantive issues.
He warned that proceeding with judgment while the matter remains unresolved before judicial authorities could trigger wider constitutional concerns and erode public confidence in the electoral adjudication process.
Ogidi therefore urged the relevant authorities to address the issues raised and ensure strict compliance with constitutional provisions and due process before any final judgment is delivered.

