HomePoliticsCourt Shock Won't Stop Us! NDC Vows to Fight Back, Heads to...

Court Shock Won’t Stop Us! NDC Vows to Fight Back, Heads to Appeal Over Registration Saga

 

ABUJA — The National Democratic Congress (NDC) has declared that it remains a legally recognised political party despite a Federal High Court ruling nullifying an earlier judgment that ordered its registration by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

The party, on Friday, described the court decision as surprising and vowed to challenge it at the Court of Appeal, insisting that no order had been made deregistering the party.

Speaking through a statement, National Chairman of the NDC, Moses Zuwoghe, said the party had already moved far beyond the stage of registration after complying with all electoral requirements and participating in INEC’s activities.

“We have started political activities, embarked on the registration of members, held congresses from ward to national levels, conducted our national convention and concluded primaries for all elective offices in line with INEC’s timetable,” Zuwoghe said.

He added that the party had already fielded candidates in the recent bye-elections held in Nasarawa and Enugu states and had successfully nominated candidates for other elective positions.

The controversy followed Friday’s ruling by the Federal High Court in Lokoja, Kogi State, presided over by Justice Isah Dashen, which set aside its December 2025 judgment directing INEC to register the NDC.

The ruling came after an application filed by the Peace Movement Party (PMP), which argued that it was not joined in the original suit despite being an interested party.

Justice Dashen held that all parties affected by the matter must be given a fair hearing before any substantive decision could stand.

He consequently restored the status quo that existed before the December 2025 judgment, pending the determination of the substantive suit.

But Zuwoghe questioned both the standing of the Peace Movement Party and the court’s jurisdiction to reopen a matter that had already been concluded.

According to him, the PMP is neither a registered political party nor one of the associations currently seeking registration under INEC’s ongoing process.

“It is important to note that they are not a registered political party in Nigeria. They are also not among the associations currently applying for registration.

“The court had already delivered a final judgment in our suit against INEC and had therefore become functus officio,” he argued.

Zuwoghe maintained that issues relating to party symbols and colours had already been resolved during the original proceedings, with INEC’s objections dismissed by the court and never appealed.

He said the NDC was therefore surprised that an association claiming interest in a political symbol dating back to 2015 was granted locus standi.

“We are surprised that on the application of an association that is neither registered nor participating in the current registration exercise, the court assumed jurisdiction to make the orders it made,” he stated.

The NDC chairman disclosed that the party had instructed its legal team to immediately challenge the ruling at the Court of Appeal.

“We are dissatisfied with today’s decision and have directed our lawyers to proceed to the Court of Appeal to challenge the jurisdiction and propriety of the order.

“We assure the general public and all our candidates that our party remains on course.

“The NDC has not been deregistered. We are confident that justice will prevail,” he said.

Zuwoghe also dismissed suggestions that the latest legal battle could derail the party ahead of the 2027 general elections.

He argued that it was too late for anyone to use the judiciary to shrink Nigeria’s democratic space or frustrate emerging political parties.

“If the Peace Movement Party truly believed it was affected by the original judgment, the proper thing was to appeal that decision.

“The time allowed for such an appeal has long expired. Attempting to overturn that judgment through a motion is not only strange but also amounts to an abuse of court process,” he said.

He reassured party members nationwide that all nominations already made by the NDC remain valid and urged supporters to remain calm.

“Our platform remains strong, our candidates remain valid, and we will do everything within the law to protect the party and ensure justice is served,” Zuwoghe declared.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Recent Comments