HomeCrimeIGP Dismantles SWAT, Launches New Crime-fighting Units Nationwide

IGP Dismantles SWAT, Launches New Crime-fighting Units Nationwide

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The Inspector-General of Police, Rilwan Olatunji Disu, has launched a sweeping operational shake-up in the Nigeria Police Force with the nationwide deployment of the Violent Crime Response Units (VCRUs), which will now take the place of the Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) teams.

 

The reform was unveiled on Tuesday during an emergency meeting with Commissioners of Police and senior officers at the Force Headquarters, where the police chief said the new units would operate in all 36 state commands and the Federal Capital Territory.

 

Disu said the VCRUs were developed from the structure of the now-defunct Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS), but would function under stricter supervision and clearer accountability standards.

 

According to him, state Commissioners of Police will directly oversee the units and will be answerable for both their conduct and operational results.

 

He explained that the new teams had undergone intensive training in tactical response, intelligence-led policing, human rights observance, and the rules guiding the use of force.

 

He stressed that the units would only be deployed on the basis of credible intelligence, and not at random or for arbitrary operations.

 

A major element of the reform, he added, is the inclusion of civilian oversight in the system, a move intended to deepen transparency and strengthen public confidence in police operations.

 

The IGP also seized the opportunity to condemn the extra-judicial killing of a suspect in Effurun, Delta State, describing the incident as unlawful and contrary to the ethics of professional policing.

 

He said the officer involved, alongside members of the team, had been dismissed, while the matter had already been transmitted to the Directorate of Public Prosecution for further action.

 

“The Nigeria Police Force under my leadership has zero tolerance for extra-judicial actions. Accountability will be pursued to its logical conclusion,” he stated.

 

Disu further directed Commissioners of Police to intensify engagement with community stakeholders, including traditional rulers, religious leaders, and civil society organisations, as part of efforts to rebuild trust and improve intelligence gathering.

 

He also ordered them to make their contact details readily available to community leaders so that communication channels can remain open and effective.

 

As part of the broader reforms, the police chief mandated a full and immediate audit of arms and ammunition across all commands, describing the exercise as necessary to curb misuse and boost operational preparedness.

 

He also highlighted the Force’s recent operational gains, saying that in April 2026 alone, police operatives arrested 28 suspected terrorists, 85 kidnapping suspects, 51 murder suspects, 62 armed robbery suspects, and 54 persons linked to cultism.

 

He added that 189 kidnapped victims were rescued across the country within the same period.

 

In addition, police operations led to the recovery of 140 assorted firearms, 1,074 rounds of ammunition, and 37 stolen vehicles.

 

Reaffirming his resolve to drive reform across the Force, Disu urged officers to remain professional, disciplined, and committed to integrity, while assuring Nigerians that the police were determined to rebuild public trust and strengthen security nationwide.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Recent Comments