HomePoliticsN1bn Fraud Trial Stalled as SDP Boss Blows Hot, Alleges 75 Suspicious...

N1bn Fraud Trial Stalled as SDP Boss Blows Hot, Alleges 75 Suspicious Payments to Ex-Official

 

ABUJA – The National Chairman of the Social Democratic Party (SDP), Prof. Sadiq Umar Abubakar Gombe, on Monday alleged massive financial misconduct in the party, claiming that investigations uncovered 75 suspicious payments made to a former youth leader who had no financial responsibility within the party.

Gombe made the allegation after a scheduled hearing in the alleged N1 billion fraud case involving some former SDP officials could not proceed because the court did not sit. The matter was subsequently adjourned to August 17, 2026.

Addressing journalists at the court premises, the SDP chairman said the prosecution remained fully prepared and had assembled compelling documentary evidence, including the party’s Zenith Bank statements, to support charges of criminal breach of trust, misappropriation, malfeasance and other financial crimes.

“Today is July 20, 2026. We came to court early enough, but unfortunately the court announced it was not sitting due to unforeseen circumstances and apologised. We have now taken August 17 as the next adjourned date for the continuation of the prosecution,” he said.

Reacting to concerns that the case was dragging, Gombe insisted that the delay was not caused by either the prosecution or the complainants.

“We have always been in court whenever the matter is scheduled. Even officials of Zenith Bank came with the requested statement of account today, but because the court did not sit, they had to return with the documents.”

He said the bank statement would form a key part of the prosecution’s evidence when the trial resumes.

According to him, an examination of the party’s 2024 bank records allegedly exposed questionable transactions.

“If you look at the 2024 statement of account, you will discover that one individual received payments 75 times within one year. On some days, three or four payments were made to the same person. Yet, he was neither a contractor, nor the treasurer, nor responsible for the party’s finances. He was only a youth leader. It is astonishing,” Gombe alleged.

He said the current SDP leadership was determined to cleanse the party of corruption, arguing that credible political parties were essential for producing credible leaders.

“If criminals are allowed to control political parties, they will produce candidates with questionable character. Nigeria must get leadership right by first getting political parties right,” he said.

The SDP chairman also urged the judiciary to expedite the trial ahead of the 2027 general elections, saying swift justice would help rid the nation’s political system of corrupt elements.

“Our prayer is that the judiciary will conclude cases like this quickly so that those found culpable will face justice. It will serve as a deterrent and strengthen democracy,” he said.

Gombe also dismissed reports suggesting that former SDP National Chairman, Shehu Musa Gabam, had regained control of the party.

He maintained that the party’s National Executive Committee (NEC) validly suspended and expelled Gabam on March 9, 2026, stressing that leadership matters remained the exclusive internal affairs of political parties.

According to him, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) monitored the NEC meeting and later certified that the party complied with its constitution, the Electoral Act and INEC guidelines.

He accused Gabam of misleading a Federal High Court over issues that had already been settled and expressed confidence that the judiciary would uphold the law.

 

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -

Most Popular

Recent Comments