Relief swept through the family of former Minister of Power, Chief Adebayo Adelabu, on Saturday as police operatives rescued his kidnapped sister, Mrs. Olaide Busayo Adegoke John-Paul, and her 12-year-old twin sons, Peter and Paul, without the payment of any ransom.
The Nigeria Police Force confirmed that the victims were freed during a daring intelligence-led operation carried out by operatives of the Force Intelligence Department–Intelligence Response Team (FID-IRT), ending days of anxiety and uncertainty.
Mrs. Adegoke and her twin sons were abducted on June 3, 2026, while she was taking the children to school in the Elewura area of Challenge, Ibadan, Oyo State.
In a statement issued by the Force Public Relations Officer, DCP Anthony Okon, the police said intensive surveillance, intelligence gathering and tactical operations led operatives to the kidnappers’ hideout.
The statement stressed that contrary to speculation, no ransom was paid for the victims’ release.
According to the police, the operation climaxed at about 7:30 p.m. on Saturday when operatives engaged the kidnappers in a fierce confrontation.
“During the confrontation, two suspected kidnappers were fatally wounded and two rifles were recovered. The victims were rescued unharmed and are currently receiving medical attention and support,” the statement said.
The Inspector-General of Police commended the operatives for their courage, professionalism and commitment, describing the operation as a major breakthrough in the fight against kidnapping.
Police authorities also disclosed that a manhunt has been launched for other members of the gang who escaped during the operation.
“Preliminary intelligence indicates that some suspects escaped with gunshot injuries. Operations are ongoing to track, arrest and bring all those involved to justice,” the statement added.
A family source confirmed that the rescued victims had been reunited with their loved ones and were in good condition.
“As I speak, the rescued victims have been reunited with us unharmed and they are happy to be back with their family. We thank God and all Nigerians for their prayers and support. The Nigeria Police is working, and we should continue to support security agencies with useful information,” the source said.
Meanwhile, the Adelabu family has expressed deep appreciation to God, security agencies and Nigerians for standing by them throughout the ordeal.
In a statement signed by Chief Adelabu’s Media Aide, Comrade Femi Awogboro, the family described the successful rescue as proof of what can be achieved through collaboration among security agencies, government institutions and citizens.
The family specifically thanked President Bola Tinubu, Oyo State Governor Seyi Makinde, the Inspector-General of Police, the Oyo State Police Command and the Department of State Services (DSS) for their roles in securing the freedom of the victims.
They also acknowledged the support of APC leaders, political associates, religious and traditional rulers, friends and well-wishers across the country.
While celebrating the rescue, the family remembered other victims still in captivity and called for stronger cooperation between citizens and security agencies to tackle the menace of kidnapping.
“This experience reaffirms that insecurity transcends politics, ethnicity, religion and social status. It is a common enemy that requires collective vigilance, cooperation and collaboration among government institutions, security agencies, community leaders and citizens,” the statement said.
The family expressed optimism that with sustained support for security agencies, Nigeria would become safer and more secure for all.

