The Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) has intensified enforcement of its new transport policy, impounding 40 commercial vehicles for operating outside the newly inaugurated Mabushi Bus and Taxi Terminal in a renewed effort to restore order to Abuja’s public transport system.
The enforcement exercise, which targeted operators at Utako and adjoining areas, is part of the FCTA’s drive to compel commercial vehicles to relocate to designated terminals following the commencement of operations at the Mabushi Bus and Taxi Terminal.
Speaking after the operation on Friday, the Secretary, Command and Control Centre of the FCTA Security Services Department, Dr. Peter Olumuji, said the vehicles were impounded between Wednesday and Friday for flouting the directive issued by the FCT Transport Secretariat.
The Transport Secretariat had, on June 21, announced the commencement of operations at the terminal and directed all ad hoc motor parks in the Utako and Banex areas to relocate on or before June 24.
Olumuji said owners of the impounded vehicles would be prosecuted in accordance with extant FCT traffic regulations, adding that some individuals were also arrested by the police for obstructing officials during the enforcement exercise.
He explained that the operation was aimed at ensuring that all commercial transport activities were conducted within approved locations to enhance commuter safety and improve traffic management.
According to him, the bus terminals were established to serve as organised transit hubs where commuters could board registered and traceable commercial vehicles.
“The security benefit of the bus terminal is that whenever you board a vehicle, you are boarding a vehicle that is registered and you know the person driving it,” Olumuji said.
He added that the enforcement exercise would continue until full compliance was achieved.
Also speaking, an official of the FCT Transport Secretariat, Mr. Usman Abdulmuminu, said repeated notices had been issued to transport operators before the enforcement began, while radio and television campaigns were also deployed to sensitise stakeholders.
He noted that many operators had already complied with the directive, adding that the ongoing exercise was also intended to educate residents about the availability of the new terminal.
On the operational capacity of the facility, Mr. Demola Olawepo, Transport Planning Director of Planet Projects, the terminal operator, said the world-class terminal could accommodate about 250 vehicles under an efficient flow-through system.
He urged commercial transport operators to take advantage of the secure and organised environment designed to improve passenger experience.
Similarly, the General Manager, Operations, Mr. Kolawale Babatunde, disclosed that since operations commenced on July 1, the terminal had processed about 800 passengers and 130 vehicles.
He described the facility as a modern transport hub comparable to an airport, stressing that all operators using the terminal were duly registered and licensed.
According to him, the registration process enhances passenger safety because the identities of drivers, vehicles and operators can be easily verified.
Some users of the facility expressed satisfaction with the new arrangement.
A commercial driver, Mr. Abdulsalami Dada, described the terminal as an improvement over roadside operations, saying the services were more organised and efficient.
Also, a passenger travelling to Kaduna, Ms. Chioma Okoro, commended the professionalism of the staff and the quality of facilities at the terminal.
Another passenger, Mr. Adamu Emmanuel, said he completed his ticketing process in less than two minutes, describing the experience as seamless and significantly better than boarding vehicles from informal roadside parks.




